Chef LaLa and her 3-year-old son, Maddox, show TODAY’s Ann Curry how to cook up some nutritious meals that kids will love.
Baby Veggie-Meatball Soup
- 1 pound ground lean beef or turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 small eggs
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup small elbow noodles
- 16 ounces petite mixed frozen vegetables
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place ground meat, granulated garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, add water and bring to a boil.
- Roll and shape the meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Gently drop them into the boiling water.
- Add elbow noodles.
- Lower heat to medium, cook for 15 minutes covered.
- Add vegetables, tomato sauce and salt and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Spoon into bowls and serve. Makes 8 servings (36 meatballs)
Tostada Triangles Recipe
- 12 baby meatballs (from baby veggie-meatball soup)
- 1/2 cup cheese (cheddar/monterey jack), grated - reduced fat
- 4 corn tortillas cut into 6 piece triangles
- 1/4 avocado, finely diced
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded, finely diced
- In a medium bowl, mash the meatballs. Add 1/4 cup cheese and stir to combine.
- Spray the corn tortilla triangles with non-stick spray. Transfer tortillas onto a hot non-stick skillet. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy
- Remove from skillet.
- Top with warm meatball/cheese mixture, avocado, tomatoes and sprinkle with additional 1/4 cup cheese.
Makes 24 tostada triangles
- 1 ripe firm pineapple
- 10 small strawberries
- 10 large marshmallows
- Melted dipping chocolate
- 10 large skewers
- Peel the pineapple and slice into 10 round pieces. Do not core.
- Cut eight 1-inch triangles around the outer edge making a flower.
- Skew on 1 marshmallow 1/4 of the way from the top, then the pineapple round, then a strawberry.
- Dip in chocolate.
Place in a vase or large glass. Makes 4 snacks