Chicken Tamales Recipe
Calories, 250, Fat, 9.6g, Saturated, 1.2g , Monounsaturated, 4.7g, Polyunsaturated, 3g, Cholesterol, 21mg, Sodium, 179mg, Carbohydrates, 31.7g, Dietary Fiber, 5.6g, Protein, 10g
- 8 ounces corn husks
- 1 (3½- to 4-pound) whole chicken
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium potato, thickly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 cup green peas
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup canned Anaheim chiles, roasted
- 3 pounds prepared tamale masa
- Soak husks in large bowl filled with warm water 2 hours. Carefully separate
- when softened and lay on a towel to dry.
- Cook chicken, half of onion, garlic, water and oregano in large pot, covered,
- over medium heat 30 minutes. Remove chicken; cool. Shred into medium-sized
- pieces. Reserve broth.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onions and garlic 3
- minutes. Add potato and carrot; cook 4 minutes. Add shredded chicken, peas,
- tomato paste, reserved broth, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cover; simmer 10
- minutes. Add chiles; stir to combine. Remove from heat. Uncover and cool.
- Spoon prepared masa into center of husk. Add small amount of filling in
- center and bring sides together, folding to enclose filling. Twist ends of tamale
- and secure with small strip of husk.
- Place in steamer. Cover with tight-fitting lid and steam 1 hour, adding water
- as needed. Tamales are ready when masa pulls away from husks..
Makes 3 dozen tamales